Monday, February 7, 2011

materialismo

When James asked me the other day if I thought I was materialistic, my first response was: not really. (My very first response was a primitive fear that yes yes yes and my need for things is going to ruin my life, but I swallowed it.) I don't get my nails done or highlight my hair (yet. I think the summer would like me a little blonder). I own 3 pairs of jeans, one of which has holes in inobvious places. My house is small-ish. I don't know. Not more materialistic than most middle class Americans.

I've been thinking about it this week, though. I *love* the rug in my bedroom. One of the things I inherited from my dad. In addition to really tying the room together, it makes it feel warm and sort of grown up and very fancy. I seriously covet my roommate's kitchenaid (have you seen this thing food process? Heaven. And I made my first batch of cookie dough in it last night and was so pleased) and am pretty sure I'm not going to be able to live a full life without one of my own. And I was looking around at some of the things I have hanging on my wall and they bring me so much contentment.

And this isn't an apology, so much as just kind of a confessional. I really love pretty things. I really love my pretty things.

Happy Monday.

5 comments:

  1. So do you equate the love of pretty things (as opposed to ugly things) with materialism? Do you think you would be less material if you loved ugly things and had no taste? Because really, that's like saying God is the biggest materialist of us all, for making such a divinely beautiful world. And word on the street is that His home is even more fantastically splendid. I'm all for guilt-free beauty loving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think an appreciation of pretty things makes one materialistic. I think if someone puts the acquisition of things above relationships that can be a problem but clearly, that is NOT you.

    kelly
    Second Hand Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie: no, for sure. I'm def not a Puritan--I think the world is beautiful by design, and that God/nature/whatev is *for* beauty. But what if I end up broke, alone, and surrounded by hand-woven rugs? Is mostly my concern.

    And, Kelly--I appreciate that a lot. Because you're fantastic at pretty things. And people. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, well here's my secret. I don't spend much, but I secretly would like to be "secretly rich". No one has to know. Only I and the hubby would know. It's just a comfort to have a secret stash of goods for fun getaways and stuff. Secretly rich, does that make sense? Anyway...

    ReplyDelete