Lately I'm feeling a little, mmm, scattered. In order to keep from wasting much narrative energy on this post I think I'll write about some things I've been spending time/energy on lately. Slash been obsessed with.
1. Grits. I didn't anticipate this but a) the grits at Joe's Cafe (go and get them. Tomorrow for breakfast. They are very delicious/unlike any grits I've ever tasted) and b) a surprisingly delicious Bahamian dish, tuna fish and grits, which James has been experimenting with lately (it's supposed to be made with tuna+hot sauce, but is really good with soy sauce instead or barbecue sauce or canned turkey instead of tuna. It sounds weird, but butter+grits+plus anything is bound to be good) has sort of got me hooked. I sat in my breakfast nook this afternoon ruminating over a bowl of grits with butter and honey and feeling pretty good about my life.
2. Baby animals. This isn't a lately so much, but look. (eek!)
3. Bread. I bought The Bread Baker's Apprentice (did I mention this? And stayed up till the tiny hours reading?) and threw a pizza party and have been thinking a lot about/spending a lot of time making bread. I have pizza dough hanging out in my fridge right now--and when does that ever happen? I sort of love it.
4. Parties. Are sort of a feast and famine scenario for me. I did one last semester (which, actually, turned out fantastically) but am working on my third big production for this weekend. And am considering a Valentine's Day party with some friends. I *love* food/parties, don't get me wrong, but. My poor roommates and poor messy kitchen (I'm doing a soul-food based meal for my ward this weekend: sweet potato waffles, pomegranate bbq pulled pork, red cabbage slaw, double-decker red velvet cakelets. I effing love this stuff) and also poor James. He's made me promise to get help cleaning up. And to do something fun afterward. I am bad, still, at being simultaneously nice and in productive party mode.
5. James. Has been around for 7 months. Is adorable and makes me want to do nothing but stare at him.
6. Avoiding my thesis. If I spent half the time I spend avoiding writing on actually writing I'd have the fellow done. Or nearly. Grrrrm.
7. February? wtf?