Saturday, March 5, 2011

artreligionart

Help me understand.

Art and religion, I think, are the same thing. In this: they're systems of symbols and made up of symbols and their intent is to make us think and understand things that we can't quite express in language. (And you could probably define language this way too.)

Is there antagonism here--does it have something to do with creation? The creation of worlds or points of view (which are the same. Which symbols and our contemplation of symbols create.) Who should/can be creator?

Whatever. This is beautiful.

Makoto Fujimura - The Art of "The Four Holy Gospels" from Crossway on Vimeo.



"Art is always transgressive, you know, and what I always say is, we need to transgress in love. We, today, have a language to celebrate waywardness, but we do not have a language--a cultural language--to bring people back home."
Thanks Amanda.

2 comments:

  1. oh how good. and I love that quote you pulled out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BYU-I has a Bible that was Illustrated by Dali that I look through once...that was a very interesting to say the least. Anyway, some of this reminded me of that experience...sorry for the random comment. This is a very cool video though.

    ReplyDelete